Taking your son across town to spend the night with a friend can be tough. We want to make taking your son across the country to spend the night at camp easy.
There are a lot of things to pack, and a lot of instructions to be given, and we want to help with that.
The Camper Packet
In Aoril you will receive a Camper Packet. This will include a lot of information and instructions about how to access many important online documents, including your:
- Health Form
- Activity Selection Sheet
- Information about Arrival and Departure
- Packing List
- How to Ship Baggage
- Camp Clothing
- Where to Stay in Town
It is important that you read this carefully, but you do not need to worry about any of these things until then. If you read your packet, and use the “going to camp checklist” at the end, you will be all set.
Preparing My Camper
It is not unusual for first year boys to become more apprehensive as camp draws closer. It is not even a bad thing. When they are nervous before they arrive, persevere, and find out boys’ camp is even more fun than they hoped, they are rewarded for taking risks. This is the foundation of a healthy sense of adventure.
There are a few things to do if you see this happening:
- Tell them how confident you are that they will do well at camp.
- Let them know that you are excited, too
- Talk about how many new friends they will make.
- Remind them that there is nowhere easier to make friends than camp.
- Avoid “The Bargain.” The Bargain is a promise to come get them if they are homesick. It makes things easier on the front end, but usually ends poorly.
- Give us a call. We’ll be sure the counselors know your concerns so they can keep a special eye on your son.
It is common for boys to be apprehensive before camp starts. It’s universal for parents.
- Remind yourself why you want them to come.
- Remind yourself how important having great friends was when you grew up.
- Remind yourself of the importance of a healthy sense of independence.
- Watch the video again.
- Call us. We sent our children to camp also and understand your concerns.
- Log into your online account and be sure you are ready to view pictures and read articles before they arrive.